Braised Elk Short Ribs
Yield: 2-3 portions
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3+ Hours
Salt and Pepper – 1 tsp
Elk Short Ribs – 1.5 to 2lbs
Red Wine – 2 cups
Brown Sugar – 1 tbsp
Bay leaf – 2
Whole peppercorn – 1 tsp
Garlic Cloves - 3 cloves. (smashed)
Rosemary – 1 string (if fresh), 1 tsp (if dry)
Star anise – 1 no (optional)
Cornstarch- 1 tbsp
- Turn Oven on. Preheat for 375-degree F.
- In a large metal pan/casserole dish place thawed elk ribs. Dust with salt and pepper.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except flour in a bowl and mix well. Pour it over ribs.
- If ribs aren’t fully covered, add water until elk ribs are fully submerged
- Tightly cover the pan with tin foil to prevent any steam from escaping
- Cook in oven for 3 hours. Once done pull it out and rest for 10 mins.
- Remove ribs from the pan, and strain the liquid into a pot. Let it reduce by half.
- Make cornstarch slurry by adding tbsp. of cold water to cornstarch. Add it to the liquid in pot to thicken sauce
Chef Notes: Game meat is traditionally a very tough meat that takes a while to become tender. However it is packed with flavour so the wait is definitely worth it.